By Matthew Holt
Election day. At last it’s over. A gazillion dollars, mostly wasted making TV stations richer. Two years of
campaigning resulting up in 3–4 months where rushed decision making will create a future that we all have to live with.
It looks pretty clear that Obama will win, with an increase in Congressional control for the Democrats. Although we Dems are used to losing when it never seemed possible…
So what do I want to happen? Certain things need to be done straight away.
1) Guantanamo Bay must be closed & torture renounced.
2) Rampant spying on Americans, national security letters & government abuse of power must be ended.
3) We need a declared route out of Iraq, immediately. (And a truth commission to deal with the lying sacks of **** who got us in there to reward themselves and their now much richer friends wouldn’t be a bad idea).
4) America must rejoin the international community, including
abiding by the principals of Kyoto, the International Criminal Court
& the UN Human declaration of human rights.
5) The drug war should be ended and a rational system of regulation introduced (OK I know I’m dreaming on this one).
6) A Manhattan-type project should be set up to really push the development of alternative energy. (I have some hope this will happen)
7) Complete house cleaning in the Federal departments and agencies
like Justice, EPA, FDA and many more, which have been over-run by
politicization and an attack on science. And a re-adoption of a serious
role for government.
8) A really broad effort to fix the discriminatory, unfair American health care system
But what do I think will happen?
Less than that I’m afraid. But let’s stick to health care reform
which (other than the drug war) of all the above is the least likely to
The conventional wisdom is still probably correct.