Organization: The Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is seeking a talented and forward-thinking individual for the position of HCBS Policy Manager. This is a senior-level position within SEIU Healthcare, one of the union’s three operating divisions, and will report to the Home Care Director. The HCBS Policy Manager will have lead-level responsibility for the following:
- Providing overall leadership to SEIU’s policy work in the area of home and community based services (HCBS)
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with allied organizations, academic policy experts, government policy-makers and other stakeholders in order to achieve program goals and to drive joint work
- Conducting research and policy analysis and developing legislative and regulatory proposals
- Developing policy white papers & other written documents for both internal and external audiences
- Collaborating with our government affairs staff on lobbying and federal legislative priority-setting
- Serving as a resource on long-term care issues for other SEIU staff in DC and in our local union affiliates
The focus of the work is on influencing policy-making at the federal level, though intermittent support of state-level efforts is also part of the job.
In-depth knowledge of and recent, direct experience in health care, long-term care and HCBS policy issues
Excellent writing and in-person communication skills
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and with others as part of a team
- Ability to handle multiple projects and meet established deadlines
- Ability work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to manage direct-report staff and to work with others in a matrix-type organization
- Highly developed personal judgment and political sensitivity
- Proficiency with basic office productivity software (word processing, spreadsheet and database systems)
- Vision, optimism and creative thinking
- Commitment to social justice
The applicant should either have previously performed successfully in a senior policy role or be positioned to immediately step into that role from a series of increasingly responsible prior assignments. At least seven years of related work experience are required.
About SEIU: SEIU is a rapidly growing 2.2-million member labor union, a major force for progressive politics across the United States and a fierce advocate on behalf of working people, both union members and non-members alike. With a membership of more than one million health care workers, including 500,000 home care workers, SEIU was a leading advocate for the passage of health care reform.
Compensation: The union provides a competitive salary and benefit package, including health, vision and dental insurance, 401(k) and a defined-benefit pension plan.
How to Apply: Submit a resume with references, a 3-5 page writing sample on a relevant topic and a cover letter explaining why you want to do this work to : firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that you found this listing via THCB in your reply.