Organization: The Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
Location: Los Angeles, CA
SEIU is seeking to hire an expert in health care administration and financing to help analyze, develop, and implement policy recommendations that support the members of Local 721 and the communities served by the safety net system, focusing on Los Angeles County.
SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest public employee unions in the nation. We have over 80,000 members in 6 counties, including Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside and numerous cities in the region, as well as employees of special districts and publicly-funded non-profits such as health clinics. Of these, over 20,000 are public sector health care workers.
Role of Health Policy Coordinator:
- Directly reporting to the Executive Director and the Director of Research and Policy as well as coordinating work with other leadership of Local 721, this person would:
- Monitor local, state and national policy and regulatory developments regarding safety net funding and the implementation of health care reform.
- Be responsible for understanding local, state and national financing, coverage strategies, and workforce issues related to the safety net and developing strategies to help strengthen the Los Angeles County safety net.
- Partner with local, state, and national stakeholder groups to advise and support the development of mutually beneficial policies.
- Support SEIU in participating in the development and implementation of a Section 1115 waiver and of national health care in the state of California.
- Oversee and coordinate work of other staff and members working on health care.
- Identify the needs of and opportunities for SEIU represented facilities and create strategies that support and strengthen SEIU represented facilities, including workforce trends and changes, through a labor-management partnership model.
- Analyze hospital cost reports and other financial, utilization or quality data.
Required Skill and Experience:
- The ideal candidate possesses the following skills and experience:
- Extensive knowledge of public and private hospital payment systems, including a working knowledge of federal Medicaid waiver policy, hospital provider fees, and Medi-Cal managed care.
- Extensive knowledge of the public and private health safety net system in Los Angeles County, including the role of different providers, the public health plan, and the County system.
- Ability to communicate complex topics to a range of audiences.
- Ability to work independently, use sound political judgment, and represent the interests of Local 721 with high level officials.
- Ability to create strategic plans
- Ability to coordinate and lead groups of people on various campaigns and projects and work collaboratively with a high-performance management team.
Undergraduate degree required, with a graduate degree in a health-related field being desirable.
Minimum 5 years working on health care policy development.
Knowledge of unions, political campaign management, government bodies, issue campaigns concerning working families, and/or progressive organizations and their operations.
Demonstrated successful leadership and management experience in non-profit, government or labor organization of similar size.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
This position requires an individual who is willing to work long and irregular hours and participate in all union wide activities and is willing to travel and work in different locations for determined periods of time. This position also requires a valid driver's license, working automobile and valid auto insurance.
Compensation: We offer a fully paid generous benefit package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 13 paid holidays, and vacation. Salary is commensurate based on experience.
How to Apply: Please Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Please note that you found this listing via THCB in your reply.
SEIU Local 721 is an Equal Opportunity employer.
For more information on SEIU Local 721, please visit our website at www.seiu721.org.