Organization: The Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is seeking a talented and forward-thinking individual for the position of HCBS Policy Manager. This is a senior-level position within SEIU Healthcare, one of the union’s three operating divisions, and will report to the Home Care Director. The HCBS Policy Manager will have lead-level responsibility for the following:
- Providing overall leadership to SEIU’s policy work in the area of home and community based services (HCBS)
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with allied organizations, academic policy experts, government policy-makers and other stakeholders in order to achieve program goals and to drive joint work
- Conducting research and policy analysis and developing legislative and regulatory proposals
- Developing policy white papers & other written documents for both internal and external audiences
- Collaborating with our government affairs staff on lobbying and federal legislative priority-setting
- Serving as a resource on long-term care issues for other SEIU staff in DC and in our local union affiliates
The focus of the work is on influencing policy-making at the federal level, though intermittent support of state-level efforts is also part of the job.
In-depth knowledge of and recent, direct experience in health care, long-term care and HCBS policy issues
Excellent writing and in-person communication skills
- Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and with others as part of a team
- Ability to handle multiple projects and meet established deadlines
- Ability work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to manage direct-report staff and to work with others in a matrix-type organization
- Highly developed personal judgment and political sensitivity
- Proficiency with basic office productivity software (word processing, spreadsheet and database systems)
- Vision, optimism and creative thinking
- Commitment to social justice
The applicant should either have previously performed successfully in a senior policy role or be positioned to immediately step into that role from a series of increasingly responsible prior assignments. At least seven years of related work experience are required.
About SEIU: SEIU is a rapidly growing 2.2-million member labor union, a major force for progressive politics across the United States and a fierce advocate on behalf of working people, both union members and non-members alike. With a membership of more than one million health care workers, including 500,000 home care workers, SEIU was a leading advocate for the passage of health care reform.
Compensation: The union provides a competitive salary and benefit package, including health, vision and dental insurance, 401(k) and a defined-benefit pension plan.
How to Apply: Submit a resume with references, a 3-5 page writing sample on a relevant topic and a cover letter explaining why you want to do this work to : email@example.com.
Please note that you found this listing via THCB in your reply.
The focus of the work is on influencing policy-making at the federal level,
Does the applicant have to have their own purple shirt and supply of signs or will those be provided? Will training on the proper use of bull horns be offered or is it expected applicants already be familiar with the usuge of annoying public discourse devices?